This page provides all the information you’ll need to make the most out of the Inaugural Samford Edible Garden Trail Open Day.
Visit our Inaugural Samford Edible Garden Trail Open Day
Trail Guide and Map
Ticket holders will be emailed a digital PDF of the Trail Guide and Map in the week before the event.
The Trail Guide will include addresses of all gardens, information on facilities and activities, and garden descriptions – everything you need to plan your day on the Samford Edible Garden Trail.
Information on tours and activities is found below. For those people keen to hear it direct from the gardener you can join in on one of the two tours held at each garden. But remember you don’t need to join a tour, you are welcome to meander through the gardens in your own time, and if you are keen to ask a question or two the garden hosts should be very easy to spot (they will have one of our official purple t-shirts on).
|0900||Gourmet mushroom cooking demonstration with Madi Mushroom||Pause Restaurant, Samford Village|
|0900||Millen Farm tour||Samford Village|
|0930||Sustainable Hilltop Farm tour||Dayboro|
|0930||Landscaping for productivity garden tour||Highvale|
|1000||Treechangers acreage escape garden tour||Highvale|
|1000||Perennial permaculture garden tour||Highvale|
|1030||Productive suburban plot tour||Ferny Hills|
|1030||Upcycled down-to-earth garden tour||Highvale|
|1100||Food forest paradise garden tour||Mt Samson|
|1130||Lot 81 tour||Ferny Hills|
|1200||Millen farm tour||Samford Village|
|1300||Food forest paradise garden tour||Mt Samson|
|1300||Perennial permaculture garden tour||Highvale|
|1330||Landscaping for productivity garden tour||Highvale|
|1330||Upcycled down-to-earth garden tour||Highvale|
|1400||Productive suburban plot tour||Ferny Hills|
|1400||Sustainable Hilltop Farm tour||Dayboro|
|1430||Treechangers acreage escape garden tour||Highvale|
|1430||Lot 81 tour||Ferny Hills|
Open Day gardens
Details of each of our 9 open gardens are available on our Open Day Gardens page.
Please respect our gardeners’ privacy. Visits outside this event are forbidden.
Activities and food
There’s loads to do on the Open Day in and around Samford Village:
- Learn all about gourmet mushrooms and how to cook them with Madi Mushroom.
- Involve the kids and find all the clues in our Garden Treasure Hunt.
- Browse the Millen Farm and Sustainable Handmade Markets to buy local produce and artisan products.
- Experience local produce straight from the farm at Little Tree Bake and Brew House and The Latin Shack Cafe.
- Check out the local Samford Patisserie – show them your ticket for a free coffee!
- Appreciate a fine dining experience at Pause Restaurant. Local chef Rino has created an exclusive three course lunch menu (from11.30-2pm) made from 100% local produce (Not included in ticket price! Book direct with Pause to secure a table).
- Bring a picnic and a rug and enjoy the best of Samford your way.
Samford Village is wheelchair accessible.
While our gardens do not meet wheelchair accessibility standards, many are easy to visit for most mobility levels. Gardens are each rated according to their ease of access on the 2021 Open Day Gardens page as either:
- Easy (some sloping and variable surfaces)
- Moderate (some uphill gradients and uneven ground)
- Somewhat challenging (a few steep gradients and trip hazards)
Most gardens have bees and animals like poultry and some have livestock. There are no dangerous dogs on any of the properties. While we love our furry friends, visitors dogs are prohibited at all Open Day venues.
For all visits please wear sturdy footwear, suitable clothing for outdoor activities, sunscreen and a hat.
This is a family event, and we hope children will come and be inspired to create their own edible garden at home. We do ask that children be supervised at all times to protect their safety; and that all visitors stay on the paths as some of the garden areas would be easily damaged if stepped on.
Public toilet facilities are available in Samford and are listed in the Trail Guide.
Please note that there are no toilets at the Open Day gardens. Open Day garden houses and other structures like sheds are off limits to visitors.
The Samford Edible Garden Trail Open Day is operating under a Queensland Government Covid Safe Event Checklist. In purchasing a ticket, you agree to comply with the requirements of this checklist as directed by our volunteers, including practising good hygiene, social distancing, and regular hand sanitising.
- Only ticket holders will be permitted to enter Open Day gardens and venues.
- Please purchase your tickets online.
- Children under 18, while free, must also book a ticket in order to meet the requirements of our COVID Safe Event Checklist.